Hi. I believe blogging is easy to start but difficult to maintain. Each time you have to touch the nerve of what your readers want to know from you. But if you are determined to change the world with your thoughts nothing can stop you from being heard.
Here is a 5 step guide to start your own blog
Step1-PLATFORM- After you have decided the domain in which you expertise the next thing is choosing the platform. There are few choices like wordpress, tumbler, blogger, custom, etc but the most extensively used is WordPress.
Step 2-HOSTING- Now decide whether you want to self host or choose the free alternative that almost all platforms offer. I would suggest you to go for self hosting. Choosing the free alternative is like owning the space on rent and there are many disadvantages that you cannot afford if you want your blog to do some serious business. if you want to make a career out of blogging and you are damn serious about it then do not start wih a free alternatives like
Step-3-Hosting company and domain- You’ll need to come up with a domain name you like and also choose a hosting company that can host your blog. Domain: The domain is basically the URL of your website. Examples: google.com (Google.com is the domain), Facebook.com (Facebook.com is the domain). See? Simple! Hosting: Hosting is basically the company that puts your website up on the internet so everyone else can see it. Everything will be saved on there. Think of it as a computer hard-drive on the internet where your blog will be saved.
Step-4 -Installation- Just signup with the host like ipage or bluehost and choose your plan, and look for the one-click WordPress install button on the admin panel.Let’s make your blog look exactly how you want it to. To choose a new theme, you can either head to Appearance > Themes and install a free WordPress theme or you can head to a premium theme website like ThemeForest.net and buy a theme for around $40. Your website should be easy to navigate if you want people to stick around.
Step 5- Just go ahead and post your fashion blogs.Do let me know if it helps.
- nice answer shweta
- You must login to post comments
I’ll go with shweta on this. Use a WordPress platform, don’t use third party blogger platforms, especially if your Blog is a critical component of your overall marketing initiatives.
You lose all of the SEO benefits by hosting a Blog on a third party web site and what if the site is bought/sold or does something strange to your blog. Control your own destiny. Other benchmarks:
1) There are a wealth of third party WordPress templates around – use same to cut development costs, save time to market, have a pre-configured site with critical SEO elements and other plug ins ready to go from day one.
2) It’s about the content – the more you write the better you’ll get.
3) Two or three column format is great.
4) There are ten thousand plug-ins for WordPress (take your pick); our most popular that we use on an ongoing basis:
All in One SEO
Google XML Sitemaps
Sociable for WordPress
WP Super Cache
WP Touch (for Mobile Phones)
Contact Form 7
4) Utilize your comments as a way to interact with your readers.
5) Critical to cross promote your blog via the social stream: LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook, et al.
6) Images and video add a lot to the quality of your content and perceived value and branding.
7) Guest blogging can be a wonderful thing for your blog – invite others to post.
8) Use Copyscape to check to see if your content is being plagiarized.
9)hire someone to help you optimize your blog for search engines – your initial setup is critical and should be done right, or you will risk losing downstream search engine rankings.
11) Connect your blog with Google’s Feedburner service (some still prefer this way to get Blog updates) and augment with a sign-up capability using a plug in of your choice. Or, for more robust subscribe management, Awebber is low cost and powerful.
12) Set up Google Alerts (they are free) for your Blog topics or keywords to monitor how Google is viewing/assessing your posts – adjust accordingly.
Thanks shweta for a step wise guide to start a blog. Saumya but befor actually starting one I would suggest you to ask following five questions to yourself:
1- What problem/ query will your blog solve?
2- Who will be your target readers?
3- To what extent do you want to help them. This will decide the degree of responsiveness. I have seen many bloggers who give a damn what further queries their followers have. That could also be because of shallow knowledge.
4- Why should people believe you or take your words? Whats your authority in that category?
5- How will you monetise? Though this is the last question but you must aswer it first 😉
Then look at sites likeand Blogger. You can create simple sites for free, but be aware that you don’t own them and that Wordpress or Blogger can put advertisements on them without paying you. And you may not be able to sell anything from them.
Hope that helps, good luck.
here are a few things you need to consider about making a blog successful, awesome and totally fabulous.
- Put your face on it
You are going to be a huge part of your blog. You write the darn thing! Make sure people know who it is coming from.
- Put your story on it
Why are you writing this blog? Why should people listen to you? Tell them your story even if it is really, really long.
- Think of a strong and differentiated brand
Your brand is not just your logo – it’s everything that you do. It’s everything that people think about you. Make sure your name, logo, design and style is all connect and all works together to make your blog different.
- Take risks
You need to take risks with your content (kind of like I am now writing a post about fashion blogging for tens of thousands of readers!). Talk about things that matter to you – don’t just try to be like everyone else. This is actually one of the hardest parts about blogging.
All of this comes down to having a really deep knowledge of why you are doing what you are doing.
Try and have some idea of your your motivations before you start.
Please login first to submit.