In order to obtain tax benefits, one has to obtain a certificate from the Inter-Ministerial Board of certification. The board consists of the following:
- Joint Secretary,
- Department of Industrial Policy and Promotion.
- Representative of Department of Science and Technology.
- Representative of Department of Biotechnology.
This also leads to the fact that there is no chance for me-too products. If you are creating another e-commerce firm, you are not liable to get the tax benefits as you will not be defined as a startup unless there is some innovation in your product or process or services.
That being said, the process of registering yourself as a startup is quite simple as one needs to register through a mobile app (which is not yet launched) or the portal of DIPP (Department of Industrial Policy and Promotion). The startups will have to submit an application along with ‘any’ of the following documents.
- A recommendation in a format specified by DIPP from an incubator established in a post-graduate college in the country.
- A letter of support from any central or state government funded incubator to promote innovation.
- A recommendation in a format specified by DIPP (with regard to innovative nature of business) from any incubator recognised by the Central Government.
- A letter of funding of not less than 20 per cent in equity by any incubation or angel fund/PE fund/accelerator or angel network duly registered with Securities and Exchange Board of India that endorses its innovative nature of business.
- A letter of funding by the Central or State government as part of any scheme to promote innovation.
- A patent filed and published in the Journal by the Indian Patent Office in areas affiliated with the nature of business being promoted.Until such app or portal is launched, DIPP will make alternative arrangements to recognise a startup.
Once the application is uploaded, a recognition number will be issued to the startup in real time. If the number is found to be obtained without uploading the documents, or uploading the forged documents, a fine on the applicant will be levied, which shall be 50 per cent of the paid-up capital of the startup and not less than Rs 25,000.The word innovation has been mentioned quite frequently and has come up many times in the notification.
However, the definition of the word startup has been loosely coined and thus reflecting ambiguity on the same scale. The involvement from government and the fact that the incubators should be funded or recognised by the governments creates a huge scope for corruption. source:http://yourstory.com/2016/02/government-definition-startup/
Please login first to submit.